25 Jul 2015

Author Interview with Tess Rosa Ruiz

Can you tell us a little about your latest book?
My first book, 'Freefall Into Us' is a collection of short stories and poetry. It's about real relationships, struggles, pain, happiness, betrayal, love and sex. It is about your life, my life, all of our lives, collectively.

What inspired you to write it?
I began writing a short story when I was nineteen, titled 'I Had Pizza For Breakfast'. It is about a man whose wife leaves him.(It became 'Put On Charlie Parker') Life happened and I never finished it. Three years or so ago I went back to it and found my joy of writing again. Then my brother died and I was devastated. I was sad and depressed. He came to me one night in a dream and told me to write my book. He told me it would be published. So, I began writing it for him and I never looked back.

How did you come up with the idea for the cover?
I wanted something abstract, eye-catching. Some people have looked at it for a bit and still haven't realized it is a silhouette of a man and woman. My brilliant publisher put the finishing touches on it and boom! I love it.

If it was made into a movie, who would you like to play the main characters?
Since it is a collection of short stories, there are many. Let's just say that I am the main character and I shall be played by Salma Hayek. The leading man played by the delicious, Jude Law.

Is it part of a series or is it a stand-alone novel?
One of the stories, The Pasture, will continue. I am currently working on a second book of short stories and poetry. I don't know if I will ever write a novel. I am scattered and the thought of that kind of commitment scares the shit out of me. I feel as though writing a novel is like being in a marriage. Short stories are trysts, and that is more me.

What is it about this genre that appeals to you so much?
It's about life, relationships. The rawness of day to day living. This is my genre and I find it fascinating, how we all interact with each other. I don't mince words, nor pussyfoot around. When I want a man, he knows it. Life is short. Let's be real.

What made you want to become an author?
I like to be alone, I cherish it really. I love to write. It seemed the perfect fit.

How do you come up with character names?
Don't laugh, but I found this old yearbook dated 1904 in an antique store. Many character names come out of there.

Name one of your all-time favourite books?
That is hard for me. There are so many. Sophie's Choice came to mind first. William Styron, brilliant, just brilliant. I think it should be required reading.The atrocities that came out of the Nazi concentration camps. A true look into human pain that pierces your heart.

Who, or what, inspires you?
My dad. His love and devotion to me inspires me everyday.

Where is your favourite place to write?
Starbucks, of course!! And, it must be raining. Pure bliss.

What is your favourite movie that was based on a book?
Ugh. Tough, tough question. I love the movie 'Henry & June'. Based on the diaries of Anais Nin. Of course, I adore the writer, Henry Miller.

Name two of your favourite authors.
I have so many, double ugh. Here goes...Charles Bukowski, Raymond Carver and Stephen King.

Tell us a random fact about yourself.
I use to be a part of a team called WSPIR (Washington State Paranormal Investigations and Research) It was one of the most interesting things I have ever experienced.

Who would play you in the movie about your life?
Salma Hayek

Tell us an interesting fact about where you live.
The land that is now Seattle has been inhabited for at least 4,000 years. Seattle is also home to the world's first gas station, opened in 1907.

What are your (writing) plans for the future?
 I am currently working on a second book of short stories and poetry. I would also like to write a screenplay for 'Homeless Baby,' one of my current shorts.

Tell us one thing that's on your bucket list.
I want to go to London and Paris.

Favourite myth / fairytale?
Myth: Medusa Fairytale: Rumpelstiltskin

Who/What did you want to be when you were a kid?
A teacher, like my dad. My daughter is filling that dream for me.

Tess Rosa Ruiz hails from a small town in Western Montana. She left for Seattle with two bags and a lot of passion at the age of 19. An established photographer, she met a group of writers from New York and through them, found her voice. Freefall Into Us is her first publshed collection of prose and poetry. She currently resides in Seattle, and has been known to quote Kerouac and sling the finest of wine.
Website
Urbane Publications

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya! Thanks so much for stopping by the Fiction Dreams site. If you have the time, I'd love to hear from you so please do leave a comment :D xx